Saturday, November 12, 2005

Prequel to the Prequel?

Foolish as I am, and anti-Hollywood as you all know I am I figured I would watch the studio-dumped prequel to The Exorcist, Dominion.
The scoop on this movie is that Morgan Creek Studios hired Paul Schrader to direct the long awaited horror film prequel. And this seemed a great choice until they saw his final version; a psychological horror that lacked blood, guts, and gore most studio execs and the financial backers wanted. They decided to fire Schrader and scrap the entire film; they then re-wrote the script and brought in Renny Harlin to direct the "new version" of the new version of the Exorcist.
Absolutely the worst start for any movie I've ever heard, aside from the fact that they were making a prequel- which in itself hurts a film before it gets started.
The studio then released Harlin's version with minimal financial success and eventually let Schrader show his film at a few festivals and then gave it a small theatrical release, mostly in other countries.
So to the actual movie, Schrader's version is titled Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist and was possibly the biggest waste of time in movie history (although I hear Harlin's version is worse). A slow pace, mediocre acting, horrible story-line, and oh by the way it wasn't scary were some of the reasons this movie failed.
Normally I'm against anything a studio does to hold down a movie, but this time I got it wrong, flat-out wrong. This film was horrible from the opening scene. Please don't waste your time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home