Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How Do You Like Your Copeland?

With the release of "Eat, Sleep, Repeat" today Copeland has dropped a completely different album for the 4th time in a row(Not counting that split with Pacifico before they were signed to The Militia Group).
First was Beneath Medicine Tree- a tragic love song that spanned 11 tracks about lead singer Aaron Marsh's hospitalized girlfriend who was on the other side of the country in a hospital in California. This was one of my personal favorite albums of 2003; I couldn't take it out of the cd player, Marsh just writes gut wrenching lyrics and sings them so beautiful(His Falsetto is phenomenal) I was hooked from the first spin.
Next came a covers EP that was delayed months b/c they got picked up on Switchfoot's tour for Beautiful Letdown, Now Nothing Stays the Same; an album where the band tackled acts such as Berlin, Billy Joel, Phil Collins, and the incomparable Stevie Wonder. They do a great job covering eighties classics, even out Carly Simoning Carly Simon on "coming Around Again"; and they actually stick "Part Time Lover" by Stevie amazingly well...this song let me know Marsh's singing chops were second to none, he actually hit every note Stevie hit!
After Now Nothing Stays The Same they came back with In Motion, a happy upbeat shot at a regular, non-emotional, album from Aaron Marsh. They did not blow me away but they did make me sing every line of every song, sans "Kite" which could possibly be the worst thing I've ever heard. In Motion plays like Brandtson's Death and Taxes, but in LP form. I love this album, but Beneath Medicine Tree tops it hands down; I was just too involved with Medicine Tree to get deep into a regular album from an emotional powerhouse.
Their latest release Eat, Sleep, Repeat is the work of an insomniac lead singer/writer who isn't fully at grips with the possibility of his potential. It is dark and self loathing, while holding onto the pop reigns that made In Motion so pop. This album is sad, detached, lonely, aggravated, and completely genius. I love this album, I hate this album; Copeland is becoming my sweet tooth, my secret obsession.
They caught me with the Pacifico split, and then reeled me in with Beneath Medicine Tree, and put me in the cooler with the covers EP Know Nothing Stays the Same. So In Motion and Eat, Sleep, Repeat are very different albums; they are both great and listening to them can only make your day better...go out pick up any one of their cd's and thank me later. Copeland is one of my top five bands recording today, check 'em out.

1 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

your blogging is to smart for me to even read...holla

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home